Academic Progress & Probation

Have you been placed on academic probation? Worried that your grades are falling behind? Learn more about what happens when your GPA falls too low and how to get on the road to academic success.

What is Academic Probation?

All UA students are required to make sufficient academic progress. Undergraduate students with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) below 2.0 are placed on academic probation in accordance with University policy.

Probation status occurs after the term (i.e., fall, spring) when your GPA drops below a 2.0. You can view your academic standing in UAccess.

What happens when I'm placed on probation?

You'll receive an email from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences alerting you of your academic status. If this is your first time on probation, you'll be enrolled in our PASS program, which is designed to help improve your academic success.

Arizona Online students are enrolled in the Online Rebound program.

You should also work closely with your major advisor to discuss your situation and ways to improve your academic standing.

Being on probation may also affect your financial aid, athletic participation, and other opportunities. You should check with the appropriate office to see how probation affects you.

How can I get off of probation?

You'll be removed from probation once you reach a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.

In order to raise your GPA, you'll need to complete a certain number of units with a grade of B or higher (this is known as your B-deficit). Your academic advisor can help you figure out how many units of higher grades you will need to get off of probation.

What if I don't get my GPA above 2.0?

All SBS students on academic probation are reviewed at the end of the subsequent term. There are a few possible outcomes depending on your academic progress.

  • GPA rises above 2.0 – You will be off probation completely
  • B-deficit decreases and is 18 units or less – If you decrease your B-deficit (even if your GPA doesn't rise to 2.0) you can continue on probation as long as you continue to raise your GPA
  • B-deficit increases or remains the same – You may be subject to dismissal from SBS
  • B-deficit greater than 18 units – You may be subject to dismissal from SBS or the University

What happens if I'm subject to dismissal?

All students subject to dismissal are reviewed after final grades are posted. Input is gathered from major advisors and many factors are considered (e.g., time at the UA, extenuating circumstances) before a student is dismissed from the University.  

If your B deficit is 18 units or less after a second semester on probation you may be transferred to the College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences (CLAS) to work with their staff to explore other majors or may be moved to Social and Behavioral Sciences No Major Selected.

This action is taken with the input and recommendation from your major academic advisor if they feel that you have the potential to succeed academically at UA but perhaps need to find a better fit in terms of major.

If transferred to CLAS, they will decide whether they can accept you as a student; if they don’t, you will be dismissed from the University. 

Once a student has been dismissed, there is no appeal process

Where can I get help?

Our goal is to help you get on a path to success!

If you are on academic probation should see your advisor promptly after final grades post. You can discuss with your advisor ways to improve your GPA, such as grade replacement opportunity, retroactive withdrawal, and resources on campus (e.g., Think Tank, CAPS).

Waiting until dismissal is too late and you will need to wait at least one semester before applying for readmission.

Can I be readmitted?

Readmission for students who have been on probation is subject to review and is not guaranteed.

If after a minimum of one year or two regular semesters (fall and spring) away from the University and through enrollment in another higher education institution, you earn 24+ academic units with a GPA of 3.0 or above, the College will consider your application for readmission.

After two dismissals, you cannot reapply to the University.


If you have questions about probation or dismissal, contact one of our advisors.