Faculty Teaching Award Nominations
We sponsor three awards recognizing excellence in teaching by SBS faculty. Each recipient receives a $2,000 award, and winners are invited to attend SBS Convocations to be recognized.
Award Categories for the 2020-2021 Academic Year
Dean’s Award for Excellence in Lower Division Teaching ($2,000)
Recognizes significant instructional achievements by an SBS faculty member in one or more lower-division courses (numbered between 100 and 299). Courses taught in the Tier One general education curriculum are counted as lower-division for this award.
Dean’s Award for Excellence in Upper Division Teaching ($2,000)
Recognizes significant instructional achievements by an SBS faculty member in one or more upper-division courses (numbered between 300 and 499).
Dean’s Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching ($2,000)
Recognizes significant instructional achievements by an SBS faculty member in one or more graduate-level courses (numbered between 500 and above).
The Nomination Process
Instructor Eligibility Guidelines
Instructors whose home department is in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
Instructors who are tenured or tenure-track faculty, continuing status or continuing eligible, or non-tenure track faculty (any title).
Instructors who have held a position for at least one year with the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
Nominees must have taught at least one course in the category for which they are nominated during the same academic year in which the award is made (either Fall 2020 or Spring 2021).
An instructor may be nominated for only one of the three awards per year.
An instructor is ineligible to win the same award two years in a row.
Nominations may be made by the unit head, any faculty member, or a faculty committee from an SBS unit. However, please note that individuals may only be nominated for one of the three awards per year, and may not win the same award two years in a row.
For the 2020-2021 awards, nomination packet must be received by the Dean’s Office no later than Monday, March 29, 2021 at 11:59pm (including the nominee's syllabi).
The packets must include:
- One letter of nomination from an individual or individuals familiar with the nominee’s qualifications for the appropriate level of instruction. This one letter can have multiple nominators or signatures and clearly states the award for which the instructor is being nominated. They should contain evidence of the nominee’s unusually significant and meritorious achievements in teaching, clearly showing how such achievements are at a level above that normally expected of all instructors. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to, efforts to engage students in high-impact teaching practices, measures taken to ensure the quality of student learning experiences; possession of high scholarly standards for both rigor and currency of course content; contributions that have energized and enhanced teaching; and innovative approaches to pedagogy or course design.
- Syllabi from each course, in the category of the nomination, taught during the Fall and Spring of 2020-2021 (i.e., submit only syllabi from lower-division classes when nominated for the lower-division teaching award).
Submitting the Nomination Packet through WISEHUB
When a department has created and gathered your nomination materials for the faculty nominees for each award, please visit https://thehub.arizona.edu/forms/112/create to submit by March 29th at 11:59pm deadline. If you have any questions or concerns about WISEHUB, please email Isabel Contreras at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominee’s Syllabi for Submission
To submit the “additional nomination materials,” (i.e., the syllabi) the department has two options:
- Collect the syllabi from the faculty and upload the document(s) themselves.
- Ask the faculty to submit their syllabi by using the “Do you want additional nominee materials to this submission?” function. This allows the faculty nominee to upload the document(s) to the award nomination form.
In order to have the faculty submit their own materials, please follow these instructions:
- In the “Do you want to add a nominee to this submission?” box, type the faculty nominee name until it appears in the “name” field. Then click “Send Email.”
- After the rest of the form is complete and you have uploaded your “nomination letter,” click “Save Draft” to save your nomination. Please note that you cannot submit your nomination until all required documents are uploaded by either you or the faculty.
- Once the faculty uploads the syllabi, click “Notify.” The submitter will receive an email that the faculty has uploaded the document with a “View Submission” link to your nomination form.
- You can review the faculty submission material and click “Submit” to complete the process and submit your nomination.
IMPORTANT: Please remember to submit the materials.
For more information, please contact Isabel Contreras at email@example.com or via phone to 520-621-8402.