Faculty Teaching Award Nominations
We sponsor three awards recognizing excellence in teaching by SBS faculty. Each recipient receives a $2,000 award, and winners are invited to attend SBS Convocations to be recognized.
Award Categories for the 2022-2023 Academic Year
Dean’s Award for Excellence in Lower Division Teaching ($2,000)
Recognizes significant instructional achievements by an SBS faculty member in one or more lower-division courses (numbered between 100 and 299). Courses taught in the Tier One general education curriculum are counted as lower division for this award.
Dean’s Award for Excellence in Upper Division Teaching ($2,000)
Recognizes significant instructional achievements by an SBS faculty member in one or more upper division courses (numbered between 300 and 499).
Dean’s Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching ($2,000)
Recognizes significant instructional achievements by an SBS faculty member in one or more graduate-level courses (numbered between 500 and above).
The Nomination Process
Instructor Eligibility Guidelines
- Instructors whose home department is in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Instructors who are tenured or tenure-track faculty, continuing status or continuing eligible, or non-tenure track faculty (any title).
- Instructors who have held a position for at least one year with the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences.
- Nominees must have taught at least one course in the category for which they are nominated during the same academic year in which the award is made (either Fall 2021 or Spring 2022).
- An instructor may be nominated for only one of the three awards per year.
- An instructor is ineligible to win the same award two years in a row.
- Nominees must have taught at least one course in the category for which they are nominated during the same academic year in which the award is made (either Fall 2022 or Spring 2023).
Nominations may be made by the unit head, any faculty member, or a faculty committee from an SBS unit. The nomination packet should include one letter of nomination and appropriate syllabi, described here:
One Letter of Nomination
- No longer than 2 pages.
- From an individual or individuals familiar with the nominee’s qualifications for the appropriate level of instruction. This one letter can have multiple nominators or signatures.
- Clearly states the award for which the instructor is being nominated.
- Contains evidence of the nominee’s unusually significant and meritorious achievements in teaching, showing how such achievements are at a level above that normally expected of all instructors. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to, efforts to engage students in high-impact teaching practices; measures taken to ensure the quality of student learning experiences; possession of high scholarly standards for both rigor and currency of course content; contributions that have energized and enhanced teaching; or innovative approaches to pedagogy or course design.
Syllabi from AY 22-23 for Nomination Category
- AY 22-23 Syllabi from the category of courses for which the instructor is nominated (i.e., submit only syllabi from lower-division classes when nominated for the lower-division teaching award).
Submit your Nomination Packet to Box via the button below. When you have created and gathered your nomination materials for each award, please:
- create *ONE* pdf file for each nominee (with the letter at the start of the file and syllabi as additional pages).
- Submit the award nomination to Box. Note -We cannot re-review if a department accidentally submits to an incorrect email address.
DEADLINE: Monday, April 10th at 11:59pm
For more information, please contact Isabel Contreras at email@example.com or via phone to 520-621-8402.