The Magellan Circle is a society for donors who contribute $1,000 a year or more to the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences. The money raised in the Magellan Circle supports the Dean's Fund for Excellence, which in turn provides for student travel, visiting scholars, faculty research and excellence-in-teaching awards. An additional $750 sponsors a student scholarship.
Named for Ferdinand Magellan, the Portuguese explorer who led the first successful circumnavigation of the globe, the Circle offers the chance for you to help us discover the world - the physical, the cognitive and the social - through the academics of Social and Behavioral Sciences' 20 departments and research centers. You can read more about recent Magellan Circle news in the most recent issue of Developments.
Magellan Circle members are:
- Explorers: Donors who provide an annual contribution of at least $1,000 to the Magellan Circle.
- Patrons: Donors who provide an annual contribution of at least $1,750 to the Magellan Circle, which includes $750 to the Magellan Circle Scholarship program.
Lifetime Membership is open to those who give:
- A gift of cash or securities valued at $20,000 or more
- A current planned gift valued at $50,000 or more
- A bequest of $100,000 or more
- Invitation to annual appreciation dinner and lecture with the Dean and other scholars who are recipients of Dean's Fund for Excellence Awards.
- Invitations to exclusive trips to explore aspects of the college's research and geography.
- Invitations to seminars, lectures and special events.
- Meeting your scholar at an annual Magellan Scholars gathering.
- Recognition in the our Developments publication.
If you'd like to join the Magellan Circle, you can fill out the Donation Form, or for more information please call the Development Team at (520) 626-6977.