SBS 393 Internship Credit
Have you found an internship opportunity and want to get academic credit? You can enroll in SBS 393 if you can't get credit through your major.
You can earn credits through SBS 393 if you are not eligible for internship credits through your major or minor departments. You must also meet the following criteria:
- Good academic standing with the University of Arizona: at least a 2.00 grade point average (major and cumulative) at the University of Arizona prior to enrolling for an internship.
- Earned a minimum of 30 credits.
- Completed at least one full-time (12 units) semester at the University of Arizona.
- Currently enrolled at The University of Arizona
How to Enroll
Before you can enroll in SBS 393, complete the following steps:
- Determine whether you are eligible. If you are eligible for internship credit through your major or minor department you may not enroll in the Social and Behavioral Sciences internship program. You must instead enroll in your department’s internship program. Contact your internship coordinator.
- Find and secure an internship. Check out our list of internship opportunities. The University of Arizona’s Career Services also offers tips for finding an internship.
- Download and complete the internship application. The application must be completed by both you and the person supervising you at your internship.
- Turn in your completed application to Laura Owen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application must be fully completed. The SBS 393 Internship Coordinator will review your application and notify you of the decision whether to enroll you in SBS 393.
Your complete application should include:
- Completed application with sponsoring organization's signature
You should turn in your internship application by the first few weeks of the term you wish to receive internship credit in (for example, credit for a Fall semester internship should be turned in within the first few weeks of Fall semester). Students applying for Summer credit will be registered in the Five Week Second Summer Session.
However, internship applications will be processed throughout each semester. Once the last day of classes (not finals) has passed for the semester, no applications can be processed for that semester.
Internship credits cannot be awarded retroactively for internship duties performed at an earlier time. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Credits, Tuition & Fees
Interns work 45 hours of work for each unit of internship credit.
You must pay tuition and registration fees for internship credits. Consult the Tuition and Fees Calculator to determine the charges for your internship credits.
In addition to internship hours, some academic assignments are required to earn credit for SBS 393. Credit awarded for SBS 393 is graded Satisfactory/Pass/Fail. Students receive credit for the internship upon successful completion of the internship hours and academic assignments. They should discuss with their academic advisor how this credit will apply to their degree plan. S/P/F grade does not impact a student’s GPA calculation.
Contact Laura Owen
Download the SBS Internship Application Here
IMPORTANT COVID-19 INTERNSHIP UPDATE
Per university policy, internships can proceed as normal. No COVID-19 forms are required at this time. We highly recommend that students have a conversation with their supervisors before starting the internships to have a clear understanding of their workplace’s policies and procedures regarding health and safety. Students should also review the Disclosure of Insurance Coverage for University Internships for Credit (the disclosure is included in the internship application). Please refer to the Campus Health COVID-19 Information and Resource Hub for guidance for additional information.