Pre-Law Thematic Minor
The Pre-Law Thematic (PLW) Minor is designed to prepare you for a career in law. You will have the opportunity to research topics, analyze information, and think critically.
The philosophy of the PLW Minor is to prepare students for the Law School Admission process, including the components of the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT). These courses are not mandatory for law school admission, but are recommended for students interested in law school.
The courses in the PLW Minor have been selected to address the following sections reflected in the LSAT and law school admissions requirements, as recommended by the American Bar Association: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_education/resources/pre_law/.
We encourage you to choose courses from a variety of areas below that address these key skills.
- Logical Reasoning
- Analytical Reasoning and Problem Solving
- Critical Reading Comprehension and Research
- Writing and Editing
- Public Service and Promoting Justice
- Oral Communication and Listening
- Organization and Management
- Relationship-building and Collaboration
- Background Knowledge (Legal, Historical, Political, Socio-Cultural, Economic/Financial and more)
Declaring the Minor
Any advisor can declare the Pre-Law Thematic Minor (PLW). Students can also follow the link below to sign up for the Pre-Law Thematic Minor online.
Students may book advising appointments with the PLW Minor Advisors through the Trellis Advising website. A meeting with the PLW Minor Advisors is always welcomed, but not required.
PLW Minor Checklist (PDF)
- The PLW Minor requires a minimum of 18 total units, 12 UD units.
- UD = upper division, 300-499 level courses.
- Minimum 2.00 grade point average (GPA) required in the PLW Minor.
- Must take courses from 2 or more subject areas (EX: HIST, ENGL, PHIL).
- Some courses may have pre-requisite restrictions on enrollment, be sure to check that you are eligible to enroll.
- No courses may be taken for Pass/Fail Credit (with the exception of Internship Credit).
- Up to 3 units of appropriate Internship credit may apply. If you are interested in Internship credit, learn more at the SBS College Internship website.
Double Use of Minor Coursework
PLW Minor courses may NOT be shared with any other major/minor within the same degree. Speak to the PLW Minor Advisors to discuss double dipping rules between General Education requirements and the PLW Minor.
The Pre-Law Thematic minor is an academic program only. For support for all students wishing to apply to Law school, visit the Pre-Law Advising program through the A-Center.
- Academic Minor only
- Designed to offer a selection of coursework to help students develop Law school-related skills
- NOT a requirement to apply to Law school (Law Schools will accept any major/minor)
- NOT the B.A. Law major
Pre-Law Advising - Law School Application Prep
- The A Center offers pre-professional advising for ANY student thinking of applying to Law school
- Specifically for students of ANY major/minor
- Do NOT need to have Pre-Law thematic minor to use Pre-Law advising
- NOT the B.A. Law major
Please contact the PLW Minor Advisors: Christopher Cruz, firstname.lastname@example.org or Laura Owen email@example.com.